Monday, February 27, 2012

Bonk

Bonk: "a word used to describe excercise induced low blood sugar levels; being a feeling of light-headedness and weakness in all limbs." -- urbandictionary.com

I can now say from personal experience that this is not a fun or good feeling and should be avoided at all costs.  That said, I can also personally attest to the fact that I have learned a number of very very important lessons from that not so fun day a few weeks ago.

Lesson #1: Mental vs. Physical
There is a difference between mentally giving up on a run and my body saying it can't do it.  And, now, I know what that feels like.  Knowing that there is a physical line has really taught me that the mental line comes so much sooner than the physical.  Not that I would like to reach that physical line again, but I know where it is now....and I know that the mental wall is one that I can and will continue to push through.

Lesson #2: Prepare...Prepare...Prepare
When I woke up and got ready for the run that morning, I was thinking about a million other things.  As a result, I headed out with no mid-run snacks and at least 2 hours between breakfast and the run.  Result: not enough calories to finish.  A good, healthy breakfast of slow burning carbs and faster burning protein with a carby mid-run snack is the way to go...and don't be stupid and wait before going.  Most of all, be mentally with the run from the moment I wake up.  Stay with the visuals and know the purpose of the run before heading out to do it.  The run isn't always about the actual run....

Lesson #3: A Little Stupidity Can Go a Long Way
As a result of my bad run, I had to take Friday off, using a sick day that I could have used elsewhere.  I weakened my immune system and got a cold in the next couple of days.  The next runs were much harder and the week following was by far my worst mileage week of the year, clocking in at only 12 miles (including an 8 mile run) and a fall on one of them.  I never had realized that one poor decision and one poor day can have repurcussions far into my running schedule.  This one not only put me out of commission for the day, but out of my normal activities for the entire week.

Lesson #4: It Doesn't Stop Me
I had a terrible run.  I got sick.  I had a terrible week.  And I have still run 10 more miles so far in February than I did in January.  I have lifted more weight than I ever thought I could and run further than I ever thought possible.  And, do you know why?  Because I'm a runner...and that's what we do.

5 comments:

  1. So, is bonk a verb or noun? Can you use it in a sentence for me? Did you have a bonk or did you bonk that day?

    In any case, it is so inspiring to watch you on this journey!
    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mike: I don't have a favorite but I'm glad you do! :)

    @Jenn: Bonk would be both a verb and a noun. "That was a total bonk." or "I bonked that run" are both completely acceptable. :) Thanks for thinking I'm inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhh the bonk! Never fun. But I like that it helped you learn #2. I've had to learn that lesson quite a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Martha: I hope not to learn that lesson again but I'm sure it will not be the last time.

    ReplyDelete